Latest News News Feed

What's on 'What's On' Feed There are no events about to happen

What to do

Public rights of way are mainly used for walking, running and horse riding, but on some, you can also ride a bike, or use a motorised vehicle:

  • Public Footpath: You may walk on a footpath and you are also entitled to use it with a pram, pushchair or wheelchair although many paths, particularly rural ones, are not suitable for such use.
  • Public Bridleway: You may walk, ride or lead a horse, or ride a bicycle along a bridleway. Cyclists should give way to pedestrians and horseriders. Most bridleways haven't been designed or improved for cyclists, so they may be difficult to use on bikes.
  • Restricted Byway: You can use a restricted byway in the same ways as a bridleway, plus with a horse-drawn carriage.
  • Byway Open to All Traffic: This is a highway that is used by the public mainly for walking, riding horses or cycling, but over which there is also a right to use any kind of wheeled vehicle - whether it is a horse-drawn vehicle or a taxed and insured motor vehicle.

Volunteers from the Joint Local Access Forum (the JLAF) have kindly written some friendly introductions to walking, running and horse riding - use the menu on the left - and we've help from our partner website, better by bike to help you get out and about on your bikes.